Monday, July 27, 2009

Bedtime stories for kids under 5 - Introduction

I've been practising this "dinner 'n story" theme with my daugther and she just adores it. This achives couple of things: being a poor eater, this story makes her interested in food and cooking. Besides, the story part acts as a bedtime story to make her sleep in a happy frame of mind, while giving, umm, some food for thought (pardon the pun).

Here's what we do.... First I give my daughter her menu of the day. Then i give her a list of things to buy from the grocery shop asking her to pretend to write it and to go buy from the store (one corner of the bed) with fake money. Then we cook and while we eat, i tell a story. After a sumptuous meal she dozes off.

Now, this may work well perhaps with girls, but can be adapted for boys as well. Anyway, ummm, long story short, the real kicker is the bedtime story. For the story, I have come up with few "food based stories". i.e., stories of say Onions, Potato, Roti, Grass etc. I've tried to incorporate some basic moral and a happy ending flavor (i'm on a roll today) to these very short stories. So I figured, i'll post 'em while i still remember 'em.

Do post your comments

1 comment:

  1. Thats great. I too keep making up stories for my daughter... mostly its about a biiiiig elephant or a biiiiiig monkey coming and meeting her and then i end up stealing from the ramayana and mahabharatha and it ends up as a conversation between the monkey and her with the monkey telling her the story from hanumans perspective or something like that........ where are you on twitter...my id is krukkk

    ReplyDelete